Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Product Review: KitchenAid Blade Coffee Grinder

Recently bought the KitchenAid BCG100WH Blade Coffee Grinder to replace my Braun coffee grinder and I can say that I am really impressed. I have had the KitchenAid grinder for about 2 weeks now and it is the best low cost grinder that I have played with. First off the noise level when grinding is a lot less than that of Braun. It is still loud, but it is more like a car without its muffler versus a 767 talking off. Second, it is super easy to clean. Before the Braun would take forever to clean as grinds would get stuck is the seam between the metal and the plastic. With the KitchenAid, the entire basin is metal and dishwasher safe. The plastic cover does occasionally get grind it the lip, but they quickly wash out with a rinse of water. As for the grind quality, it does a good job, but you are not going to use this with your expresso machine.

Pros:
  • Easy to clean!!!
  • Quieter than many other models
  • Dishwasher safe
  • Price

Cons:
  • Won't do expresso grind...

6 comments:

Amanda said...

My grinder's Protor Silex. I've had it for years now, and it still makes me happy. I love the little whirring sound. I haven't used it for coffee beans in a while though. I think I stopped after I had to cut out caffeine. These days it's used mainly for nuts and seeds, but you're making me want coffee. Now look what you've done Aaron *grumbling* making me want to go out and buy stupid sissy decaf coffee beans....

Unknown said...

Sorry...

I don't really think of decaf beans as sissy. To me they don't taste as good, would rather drink herbal tea instead of decaf coffee.

I do think anyone brave enough to drink decaf should not live with that sissy connotation, because I had heard that the chemicals they use to leach off the caffeine is pretty harsh...

I hope I didn't destroy all you coffee drinking habits...

Amanda said...

I had kind of figured as much, but in relation to foods and beverages, I try to live in a forced denial for as long as possible. This is how I managed to postpone going vegan for so many years. Then something would happen, or someone would say something that got me thinking too much, and then it was *poof* no more cocoa puffs for amanda.

So yeah, I'll look into it now, and yeah, you've probably destroyed it. But it's okay cause you know I love you. It was really only a matter of time anyway, and on the bright side, maybe I'm not such a sissy after all. Woohoo!

And I really do like tea. But does this mean that I should stick to varieties that are just naturally caffeine free? Guess I'll into that too. Bugger....

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amanda said...

Well, I checked decaf out and wrote about it on my blog.

Don't worry be happy.

Unknown said...

Very interesting to know that there is a water decaffeination process. Wonder how it tastes...