- destruction of the larger family unit, thus loneliness of the parents with the resulting desperate need to connect with the inmature child
- pressure to perform makes parents push kids harder than they can actually take
- lack of role models for healty parenting, both for parents and for kids
- misguided, romantic drive for freedom of mind and action, even in a 2 year old (the Flower Children are reaping a harvest they did not expect with their anti-authoritarian attitudes)
- lack of understanding of the healthy development steps of a forming mind
So let's see if I can make another numbered list to talk about them.
- Alright, I totally buy this one. Add to it smaller family sizes has led to smaller family groups. And add into this one, the break down of local neighborhood groups. Remember when you knew all your neighbors?
- What is meant by this? Is it a lack of giving praise? Honestly I think this ends up only affecting small pockets of parents. I think more likely you get parents that are involved in their prior lives and fail to give the appropriate time to their new lives with kids.
- Dysfunctional begets more dysfunctional is the basics there. In the end, we will tend to fall back as parents to the same things that our parents did. Those are our role models. As for kids, it comes down to us as parents.
- I am pretty sure that we are further along understanding the developing mind than we were 20 or 50 years ago. But the bottom levels of understanding in society are probably at what we were years ago though, is that bad?
Really, I try to compare what society is like now versus 50 years or 100 years ago. Is what we have as a society better or worse than before. I honestly think we are doing better just because we have time to think about these problems. But then we take these things that could help us get better and we blow them out of proportion.
Alright I think talked to long on that topic given I only planned to give thanks :)
To James on the same thread, personally responsibility is not a trait we have instilled in the current culture. Definitely is something we should work toward.
Otherwise, that is all I have for now. Back to work, since deadlines are looming.